I am at a computational course this week, learning about how synthetic chemists can use computational chemistry to aid their work so apologies for this post being late.
This post is about my trip to a bar called The Alchemist in my home town. It is a really nice bar that sells really yummy cocktails. As the name suggests, there is a chemical spin on most of the cocktails.
1) Preparing the glasses with ice
2) Making sugar syrup with fire
3) My labmate drinking a dry ice based cocktail
4) A colour changing cocktail (blue + yellow = pink) served in conical flasks!
5) A meringue cocktail….
6) ..which was blow-torched to give the charred topping
It is great to see that people were really excited about the funky ways that the cocktails were being made. I loved the idea of serving things in conical flasks and other chemistry-based items. The barman even measured out the spirits using syringes. Very cool!