A bit of a random post today but I was just wondering what your working environment is like?
How cluttered is your desk? Do you have something special/different/odd on it? Do you even have a desk of your own?
I have recently been told that I have a lot of stuff on my desk but I think my desk is pretty typical for a lab based chemist. My desk is an environment of organised chaos with everything I need to hand and I can always tell when the cleaner has been and shuffled things around. The contents of my desk are as follows:
- My laptop, unsurprisingly, with headphones and mouse attached.
- Recent spectra
- Relevant/interesting publications
- The all-important tea mug
- Highlighters of every colour (unless one of my lab mates has stolen one)
- Safety specs of varying sizes
- Hand cream (because acetone makes my hands dry)
- A to do list which I re-do every Friday, after hopefully crossing most of the week’s planned work off.
- Clayden aka “The Green Bible” – The organic chemists must have text book.
So do share…what is on/in your desk?
P.S. If you haven’t already, head over to Stu’s blog, Chemical Connections to check out his latest twitter elements post. It is already my favourite blog post of 2013.